These are not your usual poetry prompts; they deal not at all with form. They came to me in the night, and -- though not a poem -- I am going to use them for today's NaPoWriMo post.
If you write from any of these, leave a comment telling me which, and a link, and I'll bring the link up under the prompts so that we can all go visit the results. Who knows, I may use one or two of these myself.
- What color is water?
- Use these three words: salt, pineapple, chrysanthemum
- Tell the story of a year in a life (any life) entirely in metaphor
- Make arithmetic interesting
- Convince me that wood is erotic
- What have you learned from your dog? Your cat?
- That trash bin -- what's in it?
- Describe the smell of iron
- Turn me on
- Write your biography in three lines
- What is comforting?
- Tell me: what is the basic, primal metaphor?
- Why should I love you?
- What do you not regret, though you should?
- Write a poem that must be sung
- Why red?
Prompts 2, 8, 16: Small Talk
Prompts 1 & 2: What's In My Journal
Prompt 10: Biography of a Crow in Three Lines
Prompt 11: rainy day
Prompt 5: Eucalyptus Daphne
Prompt 2: Another Courtship Ritual
Prompt 1: Blind Perspective
Prompt 12: Tree
Prompt 14: Drugs
More prompts here: