This is a copy of a post from 2008. I came across it today, as folks have been landing here on searches for "NaPoWriMo prompts". I think these are actually pretty good prompts, so this will stand as my post for today:
These are not your usual poetry prompts; they deal not at all with form. They came to me in the night, and -- though not a poem -- I am going to use them for today's NaPoWriMo post.
If you write from any of these, leave a comment telling me which, and a link, and I'll bring the link up under the prompts so that we can all go visit the results. Who knows, I may use one or two of these myself.
- What color is water?
- Use these three words: salt, pineapple, chrysanthemum
- Tell the story of a year in a life (any life) entirely in metaphor
- Make arithmetic interesting
- Convince me that wood is erotic
- What have you learned from your dog? Your cat?
- That trash bin -- what's in it?
- Describe the smell of iron
- Turn me on
- Write your biography in three lines
- What is comforting?
- Tell me: what is the basic, primal metaphor?
- Why should I love you?
- What do you not regret, though you should?
- Write a poem that must be sung
- Why red?