Choosing a word for this year has been a challenge. Many possibilities passed my mind, but none seemed quite right.
One of the rationales behind this meme, as I understand it, is to avoid the pitfalls of resolutions: resistance, stress, failure. I realize, though, that I am quite capable of carrying those pitfalls over to a chosen word. I considered WRITE, for example, an obvious choice, which can be experienced as a command.
My choice last year was ORDER. So much for that. Is my life more ordered? Have I incorporated the practices I hoped for into my daily life? Well, maybe, a bit. Or maybe I just learned that life tends to intervene and reorder things to its own liking.
LOVE, too, could be interpreted as a command. In fact, in some circles, that’s exactly what it is.
A conversation with my lover:
I'm thinking my Word should be: Love. Because:
- I think about it all the time anyway.
- I want to learn how.
- It's not like a resolution, even though I do believe that, at least to some extent, it is a decision, an action, a choice, a practice. Even a ritual, a sacred observance.
- A challenge and a reward.
- As close to faith as I am ever likely to get.
- act of the poet
- the precipitate of contemplation
- the distillate of longing
- the ferment of life
. . .
- the well
The Well. Indeed.
More to come.
2018 JUST ONE LITTLE WORD
My One Word for 02018. The 3-D letters are from JustArt. Other elements are from Anna Aspnes; Crafty Button Designs; TlcCreations (altered); EHStudios; Rebecca McMeen; and Dawn Inskip, Just Jaimee, Little Butterfly Wings, & Nancy Rowe Janitz from various M3 kits & add-ons.